What is Stormwater
Stormwater is the result of precipitation from rain, snowmelt, and other weather events that eventually makes its way into our surface waters, including the water we drink. As stormwater flows across impervious surfaces such as roads, sidewalks, parking lots, and driveways, it becomes runoff and eventually makes its way into the Village's stormwater system.
Since the inlets to the stormwater system are located around the Village, runoff can sometimes pick up substances such as:
- Fertilizers, pesticides, and lawn chemicals
- Gasoline, Oil and other hydrocarbons
- Trash and debris
- Sediment from construction sites
- Micro-organisms and bacteria
Why is polluted stormwater runoff an issue?
Untreated runoff can contain harmful substances that could adversely affect our water quality and the ecosystems located in and around our surface waters. Potential impacts of untreated runoff can include:
- Habitat destruction and aquatic ecosystem damage
- Water contamination, leading to reduced water quality
- Erosion and increased sedimentation in water bodies
How you can you help keep our waters clean?
- Lawn Care Minimize use of pesticides and lawn chemicals
- Deicing Practices Do not over salt and salt before it snows
- Household Chemicals Make sure you dispose of your trash properly and use alternatives to hazardous household chemicals
- Car Maintenance Wash your car on the lawn, rather than the driveway, or take it to the car wash and keep your car in a state of good repair
- Water Conservation and Water Quality Landscaping
Garden with native and drought-resistant plants
Plant more trees and shrubs and avoid removal of existing plants and vegetation whenever possible add native plants to your garden.
- Pet Waste Clean-up after pet waste
- Healthy Household Habits for Clean Water Educational Brochure
Contractors must implement a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) if the project meets the thresholds defined in Chapter 227 Stormwater Management and Erosion and Sediment Control Local Law of the Village Code.
- County Resources
- State Government Resources
- Federal Government Resources
- Developing your Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan: A Guide for Construction Sites