Photo Journal  

<< Previous Page Next Page >>
 
The Ossining Bank For Savings

The Bergh Memorial Fountain
The Bergh Memorial Fountain

The Bergh Memorial Fountain was located at Pleasant Square, where Main St. and Rt. 9 now intersect. The inscription reads: "In Memory of Henry Bergh the Friend of Animals. Presented by the Sing Sing SPCA 1891" Mr. Bergh (1811-1888) founded the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in 1866 and served as its president until his death in 1888. For the first few years of the Society's existence he personally arrested and prosecuted all violators of New York State's animal anti-cruelty laws. He also helped found the New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in 1875. The fountain primarily functioned as a source of drinking water for horses that drew passenger and freight-laden carriages that traveled up and down the Albany Post Road now known as Route 9. At first the fountain was gas lit but as the following color photo demonstrates, in later years it was electrified. At some point in time, the fountain was struck by a truck and removed. Any information as to its possible current location would be appreciated. Contact the Village Manager at (914) 941- 3954.






The Bank For Savings was first located in the First National Bank building in 1854, as shown in the above interesting picture. At that time the two Banks were designated the Sing Sing Savings Bank, and Bank of Sing Sing respectively.




First National Bank Building
First National Bank Building

This color postcard illustrates the First National Bank Building, the first home of the Ossining Savings Bank located at the northeast corner of Rt. 9 and Croton Avenue. In the foreground is "Soldiers Monument" a memorial to Ossining's Civil War fallen. This monument now stands at the intersection of Pleasantville Road and Brookville Avenue.




The Bergh Memorial Fountain
The Bergh Memorial Fountain

This color postcard of the Bergh Memorial Fountain shows its exact location at Pleasant Square in front of the Ossining Savings Bank Building that was erected in 1908. Notice that the new electric lamp and the horse that is at the fountain.




1897 Photo
1897 Photo

On June 8,1896 the Ossining Bank For Savings relocated to its new offices at 197 Main St. across the street and just west of the present Bank Building.




Black & White Bank Photo
Black & White Bank Photo

This is a photo of the Ossining Bank for Savings. Construction of this building was begun in 1906 and completed in 1908 at an approximate cost of $50,000.00.




Bank Interior
Bank Interior

This is the original, circular interior banking floor. The rotunda was 16 feet in diameter and rose to a coffered, sky lit dome, approximately fifty feet from the floor.




Bank Interior
Bank Interior

The circular lobby of the Bank was changed, and the above oblong interior was completed July 1, 1940.








































<< Previous Page Next Page >>


Print this page Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page




Home | Mayor's Page | Village of Ossining Inquiries and Questions | Board Of Trustees | Departments | Meetings & Minutes | Boards and Commissions | Emergency Services | New to Our Community | E-Mail Subscriptions | Significant Sites & Structures  | Architectural Guidelines  | Contact Information | Village Code | Forms, Permits & FAQ's | Parking and Transportation | Ossining's Environmental Site | SEQRA Page | GIS/Village Mapping | Important Links | Frequently Asked Questions | Village History | Bee Keeping | Driving Directions To Ossining | Información en Español | Search | Photo Journal
Use Mobile Site

The Village of Ossining, N.Y. - 16 Croton Avenue, Ossining, NY 10562
Copyright © 2014 Village of Ossining, N.Y. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Cit-e-Net